1. Skills Assessment

For Both the Graduate Work and Post Study Work Stream, a positive skills assessment is essential to be granted the Subclass 485 visa.

  1. To lodge the subclass 485 application you only need a receipt for the skill assessment application
  2. The positive skills assessment must be given before decision is made by the Department of Home Affairs
  3. Timeframes of the skill assessment may take more than 90 days, please be sure to inform the Department if that’s the case.

2. English Testing Requirement

Applicant’s applying for the Subclass 485 application will need to complete a English test prior to lodgement of the application.

The English requirements outlines that applicant’s will need to provide;

English TestMinimum Overall ScoreListeningReadingSpeaking Writing
PTE 5036363636

3. Understanding your Stream (GWS and PSWV)

The Graduate work stream (GWS) is for applicant whom have completed a 2 years of study to accomplish a Diploma, to be eligible for a 18 month visa.

Applicants must nominate an occupation on the Medium to Long-term Strategic Skills List (MLTSSL)

The Post Study Work stream (PSWV) is for applicants who have completed a Bachelor, Masters or Doctorate course whilst meeting the 2-year study requirement.

Applicants do not need to be an occupation on any occupation list and skills assessment is not required for the post study work visa.

4. Australian Federal Clearance

Lodging an Australian Federal Police Clearance (AFP) before application of the visa, this is a common mistake by applicants:

  • Provide the receipt of lodgement of the AFP as this is a requirement for a positive visa application.
  • Provide a the relevant police clearance as the State Police Clearance is not a valid clearance for this application
  • Each applicant on a Graduate Visa will need to provide either the receipt or the clearance at the time of application.
  • AFP cannot be older than a year of application of the visa.

5. Australian Study Requirements

Upon skills assessment and lodgement of the application, you will need to provide a completion letter from your education provider. This must state;

  1. The date of when the course started and ended (at least 2 years)
  2. The date of course requirements met
  3. Location of the course

Please note, that you can only lodge the application only after the completion date as stated on the letter.

en_AUEnglish (Australia) zh_CN简体中文