Australian Tourist  Visas 

Depending on the passport you hold, there are a number of Australian visas available for travel and tourism purposes. The main requirement for an Australian tourist visa is that you are required to prove that you will be a ‘Genuine Tourist’. Regardless of the passport you hold, you will be required to satisfy this requirement. 

What is a ‘Genuine Tourist’ ?

A genuine tourist basically means that you have genuine intentions to visit Australia temporarily and abide by any conditions placed on your visa. Depending on the country you are from, you may have work, study and no further stay conditions placed on your tourist visa. 

When assessing you visa application, Case Officers will take into consideration information contained in statistical, intelligence and analysis reports on migration fraud and immigration compliance developed about nationals from your home country. Your individual circumstances will be assessed against a non-return rate for applicants in similar circumstances wishing to visit Australia.

What is  ‘No Further Stay’ ?

If this condition is on your tourist visa, it means that you WILL NOT be able to apply for further visas whilst in Australia (except for a protection visa). There are extremely limited circumstances in which this condition may be removed. If this condition is not removed from your visa you will NOT be able to apply for further visas whilst in Australia.

Do I have to pay a Security Bond?

In most cases, a security bond is required to be paid for by a sponsor for the applicant. If the applicant however over time builds good rapport with their conditions over a regular period of time, there may be exclusions to the Security Bond. A Security Bond is to be paid for each applicant, however I could be cheaper if the applicants are travelling with as a family.

Australian Tourist Visa Types:

Tourist Visa: for people travelling to Australia for a holiday, recreation or to visit family and friends. For high risk countries, you should provide strong evidence to prove that you will return to your country before your visa expires.

Sponsored Family Visa: for people travelling to Australia to visit their family. You must have a sponsor who might be asked to provide a financial bond. The sponsor must be an Australian Citizen or Australian Permanent resident and must be related to you. Regardless of the bond you may pay you are still required to prove that you will stay in Australia for temporary tourism purposes. If you stay in Australia beyond the allowed period of stay you may lose your bond.

Short Stay Business Visitor stream: for people wanting to visit Australia for short term business purposes. This may include market research, business related meetings, seminars, conventions, conferences, networking etc. You are not allowed to undertake paid work in Australia whilst holding this visa. You will be required to provide evidence that your visit is for business purposes.

Extended Visitor Visas: for parents of Australian Citizens or Australian Permanent Residents. Visas are usually granted with a validity of 5 years with a maximum stay of 12 months on each visit. This visa is ideal for parents who are unable to travel frequently.

Resident Return Visas: 

for Australian Permanent Resident visa holders. Australian Permanent Resident Visas are usually granted with a 5 year travel facility. That is, your ability to leave and re-enter Australia. Depending on the number of years you have lived in or outside Australia you may need to show certain ‘benefits to Australia’ when applying for this visas. This visa may also be used to regain your status as an Australian permanent resident.

eVisitor Visa: for people with an eligible passport who wish to travel to Australia ( Mainly from Europe)

Electronic Travel Authority: for people with an eligible passport from certain countries. For those travelling with such passports will be allowed to travel in and out of Australia for 12 months, with a maximum of 3 months per stay. Such countries are from:

  • Brunei
  • Canada
  • Hong Kong (SAR of China)
  • Japan
  • Malaysia
  • Singapore
  • South Korea
  • United States.

en_AUEnglish (Australia) zh_CN简体中文